Finn R. Amble, M.D., F.A.C.S.
University of California Berkeley, 1981-1985
- U.S. Congressional Award of Achievement, 1983, for raising over $200,000 for the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund by developing and completing Trans-American Bike-A-Cross from Washington D.C. to San Diego, California
- Honors Graduate
- Alumni Scholar (All four years)
- Education Abroad Program – Norway
- U.C. Berkeley Honor Students Society
- Varsity 155 Crew
- University of Bergen, Norway: Student Newspaper Writer and Officer
Baylor College of Medicine, 1985-1990
- Class President
- U.S. Congressional Fellow, 1986-1987
- Editor, Student Newspaper
- J.M. Foundation Scholar
- Chairman, Community Health Education, Doctors Ought to Care (DOC)
- Student Representative, Texas Medical Association
- Student Liaison, History of Medicine Society
- Parliamentarian, Executive Committee, Statewide Advisory Council, Texas Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse (TCADA)
- Speaker, National Conference on Women’s Issues, Alcohol and Drug Problems Association
- Published twice in Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA) – see bibliography for additional
Mayo Clinic Residency, 1990-1995
- Tied for first in history of Mayo Clinic Department of Otorhinolaryngology for awards
- 1994 Faculty Member, European Rhinologic Congress, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1993 Best Resident Paper Award, American Academy of Otolaryngologic Allergy
- 1993 Maurice Cottle Award, American Rhinologic Society (the highest award in this society for resident research)
- 1993 Second Place, Resident Research Award, Basic Science, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (our specialty’s main academy)
- 1993 Schering Travel Grand Award
- 1991 Minnesota Medical Association Resident Represenative
- Numerous articles including one on middle ear surgery in our main surgical specialty journal – see bibliography
- Associate Editor, American Journal of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, 1993-1997 (Our national specialty’s primary medical journal)
- Executive Editor of Two Medical Journals:
- Executive Editor of Carle Selected Papers
- Executive Editor of Midwest Health
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- President, Mayo Clinic Department of Otorhinolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery Alumni
- Chairman, Department of Otorhinolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, Bloomington
- Associate Professor, University of Illinois College of Medicine, 18 years
- Author, numerous nationally published medical articles
- Second Presbyterian Church, Church Elder and member of five important committees
- Speaker, many Christian retreats and Men’s Leadership Curriculum
- Bible Study Teacher
- Board of Directors, American Red Cross, Bloomington-Normal
- Board of Directors, Parklands
- Missionary Surgeon, Time for Christ Mexico Mission Team
- “Epistaxis and Primary Care”: Carle Selected Papers, Vol 41: 30-32, Fall 1998. (Odland P, Amble, FR, Noyes WS).
- “Nasofrontal Duct Reconstruction With Silicone Rubber Sheeting for Inflammatory Frontal Sinus Disease: Analysis of 164 Cases,” Laryngoscope, Vol 196, No 7:809-815. (Amble FR, Kern EB, Neel HB, Facer GW, McDonald TJ, Czaja JM).
- “Middle Ear Adenoma and Adenocarcinoma”: Orolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, November 1993-Vol 109, No.5, 871-876 (Amble FR, Harner SG, Weiland LH, McDonald TJ, Facer GW).
- “Mucociliary Function and Endothelins 1,2 and 3”: Orolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, November 1993-Vol 109, No.5, 634-645 (Amble FR, Lindberg SOH, McCaffrey TV, Runer T).
- “Head and Neck Synovial Cell Sarcoma”: Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, November 1992-Vol 107, No. 5, 631-637 (Amble FR, Olsen KD, Nascimento AG, Foote RL).
- “Adolescent Drug Abuse: Of Importance to All”: The Journal of Texas Medicine. November 1990-Vol 86, No. 11, 58-63 (Amble FR).
- “Your Friend for Life”: Texas Medicine, VOl 85:5-6, November 1989 (Amble FR)
- “Makeing the Time”: Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), December 2, 1988-Vol. 260, No. 21, 3211-3212 (Amble FR)
- “Physicians and the Future of Health Care”: Texas Medicine, September, 1988, No. 7 (Amble FR)
- “The Problem, the Solution, the Patient”: Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), April 1, 1988-Vol. 259, No. 13, Pulse 4 (Amble FR)
- “Chronic Frontal Sinusitis: Case Report of a Unique Management Aproach”: Submitted to American Rhinologic Society, April 1994 meeting.
- “The Interaction of Glycerol and Noise Exposure on Cochlear Function in Rabbits Relevant to Endolymphatic hydrops”: (Amble FR, Martin GK). Submitted to Hearing Research.
- “Traumatic Tracheoesophageal Fistula in Children”: (Amble FR, DuBois JB, Smith RJH, Harberg FJ, Pokorny WJ). Submitted to Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
- “The Surgical Management of Myasthenia Gravis”: (Rielly JP, Amble FR, Safi HJ). Submitted to Journal of Thoracic Surgery
- “Thymectomy in Children”: (Rielly JP, Amble FR, Harberg FJ). Submitted to Journal of Pediatric Surgery.
- 15th European Rhinologic Congress, Copenhagen, Denmark. June, 1994. “Mucociliary Activity.”
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Minneapolis, Minnesota. October, 1993. “Mucociliary Activity and Endothelins 1,2, and 3.”
- American Rhinologic Society, Maurice Cottle Award Presentation. Minneapolis, Minnesota. October, 1993. “Mucociliary Activity and Endothelins 1,2, and 3.”
- American Academy of Otolarynologic Allergy. Minneapolis, Minnesota. September, 1993. “Mucociliary Activity and Endothelins 1,2, and 3.”
- Minnesota Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Minneapolis, Minnesota. January, 1993. “Middle Ear Adenoma and Adenocarcinoma.”
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Washington D.C. October, 1992. “Middle Ear Adenoma and Adenocarcinoma.”
- Minnesota Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Minneapolis, Minnesota. January, 1992. “Head and Neck Synovial Cell Sarcoma.”
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Kansas City, Missouri. October, 1991. “Head and Neck Synovial Cell Sarcoma.”